Sep 13, 2008

My first Case

Ok I am no detective like Hercule Poirot or Sherlock Holmes....so don't get distracted by the title....I am just a buding Clinical Psychologist....still doing my Masters........this is our Specialization year...i.e, we choose different paths for us.....HR, Industrial, Community or Clinical psychology........as for me I chose Clinical (those who know me intimately...they know how desperate how i was to be in clinical from my very childhood).Here after a while you get to see patients....Naye....Clients( I'm a Rogerian...so can't use the word 'Patient')....not that you have to do the therapy part....since we are still amateurs....we are supposed to do the diagnosis part.At first you are supposed to see clients along with your partner (not Life partner!)...and then after a while when you gain enough experience...you get to see them alone.Ok so its over with introduction part...lets come to the real story!

Me and Ruhi are partner here....Ruhi is basically from D.U.........and she still hasn't mastered bengali......it's kinda fun talking with her.....we often utter 'Sudhya' bengali...leaving Ruhi totally helpless .....her only reaction would be "Accha Accha .....Thik acche!".......though she can understand little bit of bengali....but still most of the things are "lost in translation'....so,I kinda play the role of the translator in most cases!From the very beginning Ruhi had insisted on getting some Hindi-speaking clients too(it's very necessary as a psychologist to do effective communication)...so finally it seemed God has listened to her...and we both got a hindi-speaking client party as our first case.

Can't describe the case...it's against our ethics....but I think more than the Client party...we both were scared and apprehensive......at first it seemed to me that everything is surreal......couldn't even concentrate in the first few mins...as I could hear my heart beating loud......didn't even start with the proper introduction that we had planned (we didn't even tell our names....until later on the Client party asked us!)......actually felt like a fish out of water....theoretically everything seems easy...practically facing clients wasn't that easy...........but I think what touched us most...was the eagerness,the pain,the need for empathy shown by the Client party.........somewhere down the line I felt...everybody is looking for that empathetic person who'll tell them,when everything is not going great......don't worry I'm with you...everything will be fine.....and I felt so helpless....I felt like saying , "God!give me the strength to help others"...I felt so incapable.....

It's kinda of strange.....each one of us are facing some kind of problem at a time...feeling helpless...looking for that unconditional support and love.....and search goes on......
Just think if each one of us can stretch our hands in support to others......not only them...but also we too will be helped....by holding eachothers' hand we would form a human bond.....of love.......then we won't even need any psychologists in the world!

2 comments:

Dhruva said...

That is usually the case. People just want a quiet corner of comfort. To be told that everything is going to be okay, however they may turn out.

Hermis said...

I know....most of the time thereal prob is that either we deny we r facing any prob...or when we r facing any prob n feel mentally conflicted by it...we find nobody to back us up....